Gardening to-do list for August
Aug. 2012 California Bountiful magazine
It's August, one of California's hottest and driest months. Here are some ways to keep your garden happy and productive!
- Keep harvesting vegetables and deadhead flowers so the garden keeps producing.
- Give fruit trees a deep watering. Prune if necessary.
- Fertilize fruit and nut trees.
- Add organic matter to the soil before planting winter vegetables.
- Fertilize camellias, azaleas and gardenias with chelated iron if leaves are yellow.
- Feed begonias, fuchsias, annuals and container plants.
- Pinch back mums for more blooms this fall.